Do you read lots of blogs but never leave comments?
Do you think it’s not worth commenting because all you have to say is ‘great post’ or ‘I enjoyed reading this’?
Are you worried about saying you disagree with what has been said in a blog post?
or offending the author?
Do any of the above apply to you? Well is so you are not alone. Many people don’t leave comments because they feel they have nothing constructive to say, the author has said it all or they disagree with what has been said, but you SHOULD comment even if any or all of the above apply? why? let me explain…
5 good reason’s to leave comments of blogs –
- For the authors benefit – Some ‘tips’ sites will tell you not to bother commenting if all you have to say is ‘great post’ or ‘I enjoyed this’, true sometimes these comments may fall into the ‘spam’ net and some authors may not be impressed with such brief comments but many more will be pleased to know that you have read and enjoyed their post. This small acknowledgement can make them feel ‘worthy’ and encourage them that ‘yes’ people are enjoying what you write, keep it up. So, please if this is all you could think of to say, say it anyway, I for one would be very appreciative of even the smallest of comments! 🙂
- Start a conversation – if you do have a bit more to say about why you liked (or even disliked) a post then this can open a conversation with the author and even other commentors, you never know how much you can learn or teach others just by saying what you think about the topic of the post. There are no rights and wrongs, just be polite and respect the opinions of others and you’ll do fine. I like to get to know my readers, and what better way than to start a conversation over a topic we share an interest in?
- To add further information – it may be that you know something about the topic that isn’t mentioned, sharing this can help improve the post for both the author and other readers, most authors will thank you for providing additional information they didn’t know, or missed including for what ever reason (time/length constraints etc). If they take offence to this that is ‘their’ problem not yours… personally if I have missed something out or got it wrong, I want to know, the quality of a post is compromised it it is lacking in a vital detail, so please let me know if I have missed something.
- Constructive criticism – This is especially useful, myself I sometimes tackle ‘new’ topics I haven’t written about before and if someone has helpful advice on how I can improve my writing specific to that topic I am more than glad to receive it, after all my main aim is for others to enjoy reading what I write and if I’m doing a bad job of writing about something I want to improve my skills so that people can get better enjoyment and better information from what I write. I have just had some brilliant advice on writing reviews after my first book review attempt, and I’m sure my next one will be much better as a result of the constructive criticism I received 🙂
- Feedback – Writers are always seeking approval for their work, feedback of any kind is always helpful. Letting me know that particular topics are not well received, out of tone/character for my blog or you would like to see me write more on a particular topic I will always be grateful to hear. Feedback about what works, what doesn’t and suggestions about things you would like to see me tackle are awesome!
So, basically as long as you aren’t going to terrifically rude, abusive or otherwise demeaning make it a habit to let people know you dropped by and liked their work – they do appreciate it and if you leave a link to your own site they may just return the favour! 🙂
Now get out there and get commenting!!!
Thank you for reading! If you have enjoyed reading this post why not retweet this blog to your followers for me? Share a link on your facebook page? or promote this blog wherever you can (without spamming!!!)
Use this link to share this post – http://wp.me/pLoi4-ou
Why not subscribe to my blog so you can be amongst the first to view new posts as they appear!? To do this just click on the ‘keep me informed’ button on the right hand side of the page and enter your email address; or click ‘notify me’ at the bottom of this article when you leave a comment! 😀
And feel free to contact me on twitter, facebook or email – email@example.com if you have any questions, would like to write a guest blog for my site, have a suggestion about something you would like to see me blog about or would like me to write a guest blog for your blog/website 🙂
- Blog feedback needed! Help (showard76.wordpress.com)
- 5 reasons to comment on blog posts (part 2) (fletcher-prince.com)
- Stone Soup Mondays: Best Blog Posts from July 25th to August 1st (blogher.com)
- Why You Should Never Comment on Blogs. Ever. (problogger.net)
- 135 Posts on the Wall … 135 Posts … Take One Down and Pass It Around … (desertmusepublishing.wordpress.com)