After Wednesday’s very self-pitying check-in I was told by many people that I should be proud of how much I manage to achieve despite what I am going through and I guess those people are right. I am feeling a bit more positive now, having managed to make some progress on my personal issues has helped with that I suppose!
So, before I get on with the ‘goals’ an update on the ‘other’ stuff…
My fiance offered to go with me to see the GP and put a bit of pressure on for getting me some help. So, I booked an appointment and on Friday morning he took time out of work to come with me. I had prepared well in advance, I had 4 items on my list that I wanted to address
- Chase-up psychology waiting list – been on list since February and heard NOTHING
- Art Therapy group – can I do this, regardless of waiting list for ‘individual treatment’?
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA) – want to apply again, will they support application this time?
- Global pain issues – is it Fibromyalgia?
I also had a copy of the NICE guidelines for BPD with me, in case the GP was not helpful I was intending to point out what ‘should’ be being done to help me. And a list of my ‘next steps’ to inform the GP what we would do next if I was not satisfied at the outcome of this appointment – formal complaint, contact PALS (Patient Advice Liaison Service), advocacy support, write to MP.
My anxiety was going through the roof as we sat waiting to go in, I was rocking and almost in tears. Finally we were called in and the GP (who was one I had not met before at this surgery) asked me what he could do for me. I started to explain that I was there about my mental health issues, having had to give up my job and having regular crises. Immediately he began saying things he could do to help! I was shocked.
The first thing he did was issue a sick note till the end of the year that I could use as evidence I was unwell long-term and apply for benefits, then he did another referral to psychiatry to have my case re-assessed with the consideration of seeing what medications may help with certain symptoms that cause me difficulties. He explained about the useless form DLA send to them and that if I appeal or re-apply to get it addressed to him and he will state ‘needs a medical’ on it so they don’t just refuse due to him not being able to answer their stupid (his words) questions, that way hopefully at least I will get further down the road towards payments.
He liked the idea of trying the therapy groups and said he would include that in his letter to the psychiatrist (although as this is the ‘psychology’ rather than ‘psychiatry’ side of treatment I am going to contact the ‘waiting list’ people direct and ask them about it, or it will still be along wait until after I see the psychiatrist before any progress is made here!). Anyway we had a long chat about all the first three things in general and he was very helpful, first time EVER a GP has been so helpful! (Although, I still have to wait and see if there are any good results of this, but it looks promising at least!).
We then got to the pain thing, as you will have seen in a few of my posts I have mentioned these issues a few times, hypermobility goes some way to explaining the problem but I wondered if Fibromyalgia might explain it better and if there is anything that can help. The GP felt I have enough ‘dust bin’ labels already and didn’t want to encourage another (although I disagree, labels while not nice can help you access certain things you cannot get without the right label, even though they may create barriers in other ways…) Anyway, we agreed I will just go back on my low dose amitriptiline which I used to take to prevent Migraines, as it has global action on pain and while I was on it previously I had less problems with pain overall (in addition to no migraines). My fiance barely needed to open his mouth but it felt so good to have him there for support. And I feel positive that I may be able to make some progress if I stick with this GP from now on… I’ll keep you updated on how that goes, as it is early days yet!!
I also scored 80% on my first Sociology assignment and 88% on the photography assignment! 😀
And so the check in…
I haven’t added much to Wednesday’s achievement as I have been chasing around most of the week trying to sort all these personal issues out, and ‘trying’ to study (although that didn’t go too well as I was suffering extreme fatigue a lot of the time too, I just kept dozing off everytime I tried to read!)
- Write at least 3 blog posts – Including hose written by Wednesday I have written 7 posts this week (not including check-ins which brings the total to 9!)
- Write at least 250 words on WIP – I did a small amount of editing on my life story following some feedback off my first ‘reader’ but I haven’t added to the word count this week.
- Complete OU weekly learning sessions – Having finished all the ‘learning for the photography course, there is just the end of course assignment to complete and submit for that now. I have had my tutorial for the Sociology course so I need to finish the reading and do the second assignment for that this week coming.
- Comment on at least 10 blog posts – I have commented on a further 23 posts since Wednesday!
- Reply to my emails (daily) – I have done this, I just have one email I need to follow up on but I had to wait for my fiance to help as it’s his accountant and I need info off him to reply.
- Reply to tweets/RT’s/followers (daily) – Still keeping twitter flowing, but not had much chance to chatter this week. Considering have a go at one of the writing sprints if I have time!
- Write any Guest Post I have been asked to do – None to do
- Read 1 chapter of fiction – I haven’t done any reading this week
- Read 1 chapter of non-fiction – ditto here, none
- Read at least one news article – I read this one about Margaret Thatcher being voted ‘best former PM’ and most likely to ‘fix’ Britain now. As is often the case when I read stuff like this, it inspired a blog post… lol
- Contribute to OU/FB forums – yeah, still in there
- 30 minutes of Wii fit per day – As explained previously not happening atm due to the pain issues, might adjust my goals next week accordingly…
- Artwork for WIP – None this week
- Comment on at least 5 photos in OU studio – I haven’t done any more since Wednesday
- Schedule/upload my guests/interviews – I received one guest post which is scheduled for next week, I was contacted about another but haven’t heard any more as yet…
So, not the most productive week on the goals, but now the ‘personal’ life is a bit more in control I should be able to get back on the flow next week and having blog posts scheduled for the whole week helps me have more time for the other things! 🙂
Ohh gosh yeah I forgot to mention, I have a job interview on 28th November! Not sure how that will work out having just been signed off till the end of the year by the GP, but I’m gonna give it my best shot anyway!
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list of other ROW80 participants…
Thank you for reading! If you have enjoyed reading this post please share it with others who may be interested and I always enjoy receiving feedback and comments 🙂
- ROW80 First Check-In! (showard76.wordpress.com)
- ROW80 Check-in – The one with a Memoir Taster (showard76.wordpress.com)
- ROW80 Check-in – The self-pity post… (showard76.wordpress.com)