The 5th-11th March is National Sleep Awareness Week.
Raising awareness about sleep issues from snoring to insomnia, sleep disruption and how to get enough sleep. You can find out more at the National Sleep Foundation Website.
Do you get enough sleep?
How much is enough?
Is it quantity or quality that matters?
With tips from avoiding caffeine and exercise in the three hours before you sleep to having a nice soak in the bath, to when to seek advice from your doctor to get help for sleep problems, this week is dedicated to helping us all get a better night’s sleep.
Personally my sleep patterns vary with my moods and emotions, suffering from BPD. Anything from fully functioning and productive on just 3-4 hours sleep per night in a high phase, to having 8-10 hours and still being weak, fatigued and dosing off during the day in low phases.
I thought it would be nice to share some sleep inspired quotes, which one is your favourite?
(All quotes courtesy of the Quote Garden)
- People who say they sleep like a baby usually don’t have one. ~Leo J. Burke
- Sleeping is no mean art: for its sake one must stay awake all day. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
- Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleave of care, The death of each day’s life, sore labour’s bath, Balm of hurt minds, great nature’s second course, Chief nourisher in life’s feast. ~William Shakespeare, Macbeth
- No day is so bad it can’t be fixed with a nap. ~Carrie Snow
- If you can’t sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying. It’s the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep. ~Dale Carnegie
- Life is something that happens when you can’t get to sleep. ~Fran Lebowitz
- There is more refreshment and stimulation in a nap, even of the briefest, than in all the alcohol ever distilled. ~Edward Lucas
- It’s a cruel season that makes you get ready for bed while it’s light out. ~Bill Watterson
- The bed is a bundle of paradoxes: we go to it with reluctance, yet we quit it with regret; we make up our minds every night to leave it early, but we make up our bodies every morning to keep it late. ~Charles Caleb Colton
- A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor’s book. ~Irish Proverb
- Life is too short to sleep on low thread-count sheets. ~Leah Stussy
- Most people do not consider dawn to be an attractive experience – unless they are still up. ~Ellen Goodman
- Sleep… Oh! how I loathe those little slices of death. ~Author unknown, various wordings commonly attributed to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Edgar Allan Poe, and Journey to the Center of the Earth
- Consciousness: that annoying time between naps. ~Author Unknown
- Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. ~Clifton Fadiman
- There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast. ~Author Unknown
- If people were meant to pop out of bed, we’d all sleep in toasters. ~Author unknown, attributed to Jim Davis
- Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation. ~Author Unknown
- People who snore always fall asleep first. ~Author Unknown
- There is no hope for a civilization which starts each day to the sound of an alarm clock. ~Author Unknown
- All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own. ~Plutarch
- I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day, because that means it’s going to be up all night. ~Steven Wright
- I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake. ~Author Unknown
- A little insomnia is not without its value in making us appreciate sleep, in throwing a ray of light upon that darkness. ~Marcel Proust
- Not being able to sleep is terrible. You have the misery of having partied all night… without the satisfaction. ~Lynn Johnston
- The amount of sleep required by the average person is five minutes more. ~Wilson Mizener
- Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone. ~Anthony Burgess
- Early to rise and early to bed
Makes a man healthy and wealthy and dead.
~James Thurber, Fables for Our Times, 1940
- For sleep, one needs endless depths of blackness to sink into; daylight is too shallow, it will not cover one. ~Anne Morrow Lindbergh
- The feeling of sleepiness when you are not in bed, and can’t get there, is the meanest feeling in the world. ~Edgar Watson Howe
and my personal favourite…
31. Dawn: When men of reason go to bed. ~Ambrose Bierce
- Sorry Insomniacs, Your Sleeping Pills are Killing You (motherboard.vice.com)
- National Sleep Awareness Week (dormiamattress.wordpress.com)
- A Guide to Sleep Disorders (tleonidas.wordpress.com)
- 10 Health Conditions That Disrupt Sleep (everydayhealth.com)
- Doctor Offers Five Surprising Sleep/Health Facts for National Sleep Awareness Week (pr.com)
- How to Become an Early Riser (keeptumbling.wordpress.com)
- Study: pilots, train drivers in US not getting enough sleep (time4sleep.co.uk)
- The 8-Hour Sleep Myth: How I Learned That Everything I Knew About Sleep Was Wrong (alternet.org)
- week, weak sleep (landingtrue.com)
- The True Meaning of Sleeping Together (tagalogonlinepocketbook.wordpress.com)
- no sleep (sk8erchrissheek.wordpress.com)
- mmm….sleep (healthandnuts.wordpress.com)
- Getting to Sleep With COPD (everydayhealth.com)
- Tips to Get a Better Night’s Sleep (myfoxphoenix.com)
- Happy National Sleep Awareness Week! (wakemate.com)
- 13 Reasons Not to Skimp on Sleep (health.usnews.com)