We’ve all been there, someone is raving about this ‘great new’ track they’ve heard by some current popular (or not so popular) musician or new band.
Then we hear ‘said song’ and think, ahhh that’s not new it’s a cover of…
of course the original song might have been recorded many years previously, and if the person extolling the virtues of the new version wasn’t even born then (your child, or a younger friend) they may never even have heard the original.
That song could happen to be an old favourite that has been completely ruined by the cover version, or the cover might actually be better than the original. Of course there’s also those covers that a good in their own respect but are actually very different from the original that a straight comparison just isn’t appropriate.
With the growth in digital music downloads now the release of a cover version of a song can be great news for the original artist too as people rush to get a copy of the original as well as the new version.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with making cover’s of old songs, it can help make music last and reach new generations. Some people hate it when a cover version is made of one of their favourite band’s tracks, and sure if it is a bad cover I can understand them being upset. But, come on we’ve all heard song’s being completely destroyed on TV shows such as the X-Factor! So (most of the time) if the song actually makes it to release then it can’t be that bad – even if it might not be to your taste!
Here are a couple of cover versions and the original’s of songs I like…
Cover Version – Alone Again, Alyssa Reid
Original – Alone, Heart
Cover – Wherever you will go, Charlene Soraia
Original – Wherever you will go, The Calling
What do you think? Cover versions – love them? hate them?
What is your favourite cover version?
- Hard to Believe They Covered This One (sunburnscold.com)
- Ukulele Cover Version Of The Beatles’ “Something” Goes Viral (myq105.radio.com)
- Song Of The Day: Muse – Feeling Good (emelix.wordpress.com)
- Marcus Collins cover version not just crap but also a dishonest rip off (otterstew.wordpress.com)
- New Music & A Great Cover Version……. (rockposer.wordpress.com)
- Got You Covered… (drglee.wordpress.com)
- From Love to Hate: Cover Songs That Change The Context (musicouch.com)
- Worst Cover Songs Ever- Part Two (thotplaces.com)