If there’s one thing about having BPD that I don’t mind it’s being able to make fun of my own condition – heck if other’s are going to anyway why not join them!?
They make jokes without knowing the reality, but I’m pretty sure the funniest jokes about BPD come from those of us who have it.
As such I thought I would put together my list of ‘You know you’re a borderline when…’ lines for you.
I’m not sure if you will find these particularly funny or not. You may even think they are harsh and unfair, but living with BPD this is what it really feels like for me…
1. It’s like living groundhog day – yesterday never happened, tomorrow never will, all there is, is here and now.
2. You hated this person yesterday because they said something horrible to you, today they smile at you and you love them because you cannot learn from your past mistakes, it’s like they never happened.
3. The same as above applies to others behaviour, unless you have done the ultimate cut-off in which case they no longer exist at all in your mind and never did.
4. You can’t watch sad films because you become too emotionally involved with the story and are left devastated at the end.
5. People can’t recognise you by your hairstyle/dress sense because it changes so often you look like a different person every day.
6. Your partner/friend doesn’t reply to your text immediately you go in to a panic – they hate you and are abandoning you.
7. You can’t just tell someone you are really scared/upset about something you launch into into a massive dramatisation of how the whole thing is ‘so much worse for you’ than anyone else who may have ever experienced this before or will in the future.
8. Something upsets you or you do something wrong and you immediately feel you need to hurt yourself as punishment.
9. You feel suicidal over a small incident because you just feel emotional pain so much more than non-BP’s and the only thing that could make it stop is killing yourself.
10. The only way you can have stable relationships with people is is you have no emotional connection to them, superficial relationships are the only ones that aren’t like living in boiling water all the time.
What do other BP’s think?
Do these lines resonate with you?
What others would you add?
For the non-BP’s do any of these make sense to you?
Are they funny or just scary?
What lines would you add?
- Controlling the Extreme Emotions of BPD (neumannpsychology.wordpress.com)
- Dissecting My BPD and Suicidal Urges (showard76.wordpress.com)
- BPD – Why It’s Hard To Talk About (infinitesadnessorwhat.wordpress.com)
- Changing Self Image – Hair, Fashion,Tattoo’s and piercings – A BPD perspective. (showard76.wordpress.com)
- BPD Misconceptions (authorjaenwirefly.wordpress.com)
- A BPD extreme cry for help – Rage, Anger, Splitting and Panic (or Getting into a pub brawl and a night in the police cells) (showard76.wordpress.com)
- Book Review – Girl in Need of a Tourniquet by Merri Lisa Johnson (showard76.wordpress.com)
- A Fatal Attraction – Borderline Personality Disorder in the Movies (showard76.wordpress.com)
- Unstable Moods in Borderline Personality Disorder (showard76.wordpress.com)
- How to communicate with someone with BPD (showard76.wordpress.com)
- What happens when a person with BPD ends a relationship (showard76.wordpress.com)
- Dissecting My BPD and Suicidal Urges (gypsy116.wordpress.com)
- Can You REALLY Heal From Borderline Personality Disorder? (zenandtheartofborderlinemaintenance.com)
- Overlap Between Borderline and Bipolar (madinamerica.com)
- A Glimpse into the Borderline Brain (authorjaenwirefly.wordpress.com)
- Chronic Feelings of Emptiness in Borderline Personality Disorder (showard76.wordpress.com)
- Working With Borderline Personality Disorder – Dr Joseph Burgo (twim-blog.org)
- This Week in Mentalists – Creeping Hashtags Edition (twim-blog.org)
- On the Borderline of Life – Guest Post by Mike (showard76.wordpress.com)
- ‘The Butterfly Effect’ & Life After a ‘Borderline’ Relationship: ‘Life after Death’ (matthewkelleherbpd.wordpress.com)
- Borderline Personality Disorder (untreatableonline.com)