If you can, we would like you to keep a record of any dreams that you have over the course of one week. Please describe your dreams in as much detail as possible. You may wish to record:
• A description of the setting of the dream. Was it familiar to you?
• Any details about who was in the dream. Did you recognise them?
• What happened during the dream?
• Was the dream pleasant or unpleasant? How did you feel during the dream?
• What did you make of the dream after you woke up?
Please record any interpretations you might have about the dream.
It would be helpful if you could record the dates of your dream diary.
Please state, in your directive response, if you don’t dream or can’t remember your dreams.
If you don’t ever dream it would be useful if you could share your feelings about this. Would
you like to dream?
So, for the past month I have had a pen and paper beside my bed, ready to record my dreams. Only I have woken up everyday unable to recall anything remotely dreamlike. I just want to capture a few dreams during one week, is that too much to ask?
Have I even been dreaming? I wonder.
Surely I must dream, doesn’t everyone? I would like to remember my dreams more often if I do dream, they might be good for writing about – story prompts? 😉
Although I do know that the quality of my sleep is not always very good, I often wake up feeling I haven’t slept at all and I am then very tired throughout the day. To understand this better I read a bit about sleeping…
Most dreaming occurs during the REM stages of sleep, these are the deeper stages of sleep where rapid-eye-movement occurs (hence REM sleep). During the night we alternate between REM and non-REM sleep.
Non-REM sleep has 4 stages, two for light-sleep (like when you first go to sleep) and two for deep sleep, when nightmares are most likely to occur. I did wake up with a nightmare just over a month ago, before I started keeping my notepad ready to record my dreams, it was horrible, I don’t know what the nightmare was about but it was so bad I was shaking and I was soaked head to foot in sweat! I had to strip my bed off I was that sweaty, and I didn’t go back to sleep, I was too scared!
As I wake very easily and rarely recall dreams I suspect maybe I spend more time than average in light non-REM sleep, as I also fidget a lot when sleeping, lots of muscle twitching which doesn’t occur in REM and the later stages of non-REM sleep.
Just as I am about to give up and submit my directive response as a little ramble about not dreaming…
Finally this morning (Friday 4th May 2012 – May the fourth, be with you – sorry couldn’t resist, lol) I awoke with a memory of something I had dreamed about!
Finally some content other than rambling on about not dreaming to include in my directive response – YAY! 😀
This is what I recall from my dreams last night…
Dream 1 – Two girls sat at the back of an assembly hall chatting, don’t know what they are saying. Through the eyes of one I look down the hall to watch lots of smaller girls running across the stage dressed in white, bare foot, they look identical with long dark blonde hair, each one pulling a piece of red curtain with them along a track raised above the stage. Nothing else is on the stage; the rest of the hall is empty. They are noisy, laughing. From somewhere behind the stage someone shouts something at the girls and they all vanish, the dream fades away.
Dream 2 – Two girls again, sat outside on grass, it is overcast but warm. They are talking; again I don’t know what they are saying. There are other people around, some faces I recognise from my childhood. The girls stand and speak to a few of the other people, there seems to be some kind of contest happening. The one girl, whose eyes I am seeing from suggests something about wriggling toes. She removes her sandal and wriggles her toes, each one independently of the others. She sits back down with the other girl and continues wriggling her toes and the other girl attempts to copy. Out of nowhere the girl says, ‘I am number 3’ and I get a glimpse of her memory like a cloud bubble in a vision of animals – monkeys and cats. The other girl says ‘I am number 19’ and there is a vision of evolution. Then pages of a book are being turned; like this was something being read by someone else, I can no longer see the girls, it is like they were in the book. The book had been dropped and the page lost, the reader whose eyes I now see through, is trying to find the page where she read about the girls saying what number they are, it seems to be an important part of the build up to the climax of the book. She scans the last few pages of the book until she finds the words about the numbers again. I wake up before she finds the words…
Having just written down exactly what I recall I look at the directive prompts…
- A description of the setting of the dream. Was it familiar to you? – setting described above, The assembly hall was not familiar, but even though it was just a general, grassy outdoors setting in the second I felt like it was somewhere I knew.
- Any details about who was in the dream. Did you recognise them? – I couldn’t name anyone, but the people in the second seemed familiar from school.
- What happened during the dream? – above.
- Was the dream pleasant or unpleasant? How did you feel during the dream? – Hmm, well in both I got the feeling that things were not quite ‘right’ there was a dark undercurrent that was a little unsettling, not really bad, but not good either
- What did you make of the dream after you woke up? – Nothing really, they just seemed strange.
Of course they may not have actually even been separate dreams, it may have been that the first was part of the second. I don’t really know. I have no idea what these dreams mean, I know a lot of people attach huge importance to dream meanings.
I would be interested to hear what people might think these dreams mean, if anything!?
- REM Behavior Disorder and Its Symptoms (sleepoptionsmattress.wordpress.com)
- Fever Dream Diary (feistgeist.wordpress.com)
- Sleep and Burn Fat (confessandchillax.wordpress.com)
- Dream diary, 1/2/10: Oak Aged Scotch (gretachristina.typepad.com)
- Dream diary, 11/21/09: Terrorist Pizza Party (gretachristina.typepad.com)
- 15 Interesting Facts about Dreams (articles4friends.com)
- Dream Benefits Part. One (socyberty.com)
- Dreams and Lucid Dreaming – 5 – Physiology of Sleep and the Psychology of Dreams (conservatoryofmagic.com)